08/09/2010

The original no tray high chair

I have to admit to being a little bit chuffed at being sent the no tray high chair to review.

Designed in 1962 by an architect (Stephen Gip) who was frustrated by what was on offer it has become a design staple known to us all.
Find me a parent who hasn't popped their little one into one of these at the likes of pizza express, Ha Ha bar and canteen, Las Iguanas etc etc. I doubt you'll find one! Its kind of the archetype of highchairs, the Morris Minor of the kid cuisine world!
And now it's available to us, joe public. Hurrah!

So here's what I thought of it:

Great points
  • it has a fairly small foot print, not a great deal larger than an actual dining chair
  • it sits right up to the table so your mini person can enjoy eating with you
  • very easy to assemble
  • reasonable price (approx £75-85) depending on where you look.
  • easy to keep clean as there aren't too many nooks and crannies for the food to travel into
  • has a clippable safety harness (purchased for an additional £2.50)
  • its stack able, great if you have more than one child, I'm thinking twins?hell, triplets?
  • its solid, durable. I honestly think this highchair would outlive me, probably even my kids!
  • Comes in a variety of funky colours so as well as the light and dark wood it also now comes in black, white and the dreamy blue you see pictured.  The blue is my fave.

Not so great points
  • Blossom at 6 months was in my opinion too small for this. I don't personally think it is suitable until they are sitting really well at possibly 7 or even 8 months? On the flip side my 3 year old Monty wasn't too big for it.
  • It's a bit hard for a really small one, it definitely needs a cushion. They could design a range of highchair inserts in funky fabrics and parents would love them (I think so anyway.)

I asked Monty what he thought about the highchair. He said '' I think it brilliant.'' Blossom gave no comment but then to be fair, she can't actually talk yet so we'll let her off.

Photo credit- thanks to Scandinavian selection for the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment